Monday, October 3, 2011

Faith

Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
Thomas S. Monson

Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain. Gordon B. Hinckley

I don't have a complete knowledge of how electricity works, but I know that when I flip a switch I'll have light. I don't have to know how to make the electricity or how to wire the house to accomplish this. I make sure I have a working lamp, a good light bulb and faith that when I flip the switch something will happen. Only then can I receive the light.

In faith I plant a seed, cultivate it, water it, tend it and soon I see the miracle of the blossoming. But the blossoming doesn't occur until I have first done all I can. I bring my abilities, my talents, my intelligence to the issues at hand first, then after all I can do, I place my faith in God to help me finish the task.

It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark. The miracle of the ark followed the faith manifested in building it. So it is in exercising our faith, for faith is a willingness to accept without total regular proof. We are encouraged firt to perceive with the eye of faith and then, through effort, to express that faith to a higher, nobler life.

No comments:

Post a Comment