Monday, September 12, 2011

Alaska Vacation

What comes to mind when you think of Alaska? Snow? Bitter Cold? Igloos? Well I just got home from a 7 day cruise to Alaska and let me tell you, it blew me away! The thick lush forests were incredible and the mountain peaks exquisite. The glaciers were amazing and the weather was mild and mostly sunny. I was told, more than once, by the tour guides that the sun was an unusual sight, so I felt blessed to have seen Alaska at its best. I witnessed soaring eagles and breaching Orca whales, learned about the tenacity of early settlers, the dignity of the indigenous peoples, and gained an admiration for the breath taking beauty that is Alaska.

Of course I had to catalog my experiences for a future book possiblity. My great-grandfather on my mother's side went to the Klondike in search of gold. He returned a rich man but was spurned by my great-grandmother for leaving her alone with a child for several years. Anyway, thoughts about the possibilities poured through my mind as I learned about this magnificent state.

If you get the chance to visit Alaska you won't regret it! It's a truly marvelous place to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment